Monday, May 26, 2008

Visitor Policy at my House

My family, friends and anybody I know are welcome to my house but solicitors of any kind are not. Any members of my family can come to my place at anytime during the day or night without prior notice. However, the others can only visit me on weekday evenings and during the day or evening on the weekends, given that I am notified enough in advance of their visits.

There are six rooms in my house that I consider to be “public space”. Namely, the living room, family room, dinning room, music room, kitchen and washrooms are all accessible to my guests. Our bedrooms are considered “private space”, and nobody except my family would have access to these rooms. I would consider my boundaries in this regard to be mainly personal, since these are fairly different from my native culture.

In my opinion, my rules are somewhat in-between my native culture and the Canadian culture. For instance, Canadians will mind if even any of their family members drops by late at night for non-urgent matters, or they will not allow anyone in their family room, kitchen or bedrooms. On the other hand, in our culture the whole house is considered “public space” and “pop-in” guests are very much welcomed. Accordingly, my personal view on visitor policy is kind of formed by a mixture of both cultures. Perhaps, the Canadian culture is rubbing off on me due to my stay in Canada and my native culture is somewhat fading away. I hope this happens for the best so that I could retain the values that are the best of both worlds.

No comments: